Here's a delicious recipe that makes the most of late summer peaches
and aids digestion at the same time! The peaches I used were actually give-aways from the farmer's market because they had soft spots and blemishes. However, they tasted amazing.
Simply Marvelous Peach-Kefir Smoothy
- Ripe peaches - 2
- Kefir (goat or cow) - 1 cup or more, to taste
- Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon or more, to taste
1. Remove all the fruit from around the pit, cutting away any blemishes or browned areas, but using the skin in your smoothy.
2. Put it in a bowl with the kefir. Add the vanilla.
3. Blend together using a hand blender. Blend to your desired consistency, either totally smooth or with little bits of fresh peach in the drink.
Peaches are low in calories and high in antioxidants. They also help beautify skin and hair. If that isn't enough, they are known in China as a fruit of immortality. Kefir is not only a tasty way to get more digestion-strengthening probiotics into your diet, (making it great for recovering from antibiotic usage) for example, but it is also is rich in protein and can even reduce lactose intolerance. You can make your own or buy it. Vanilla is both calming and stimulating; in fact, it's well known as a natural aphrodisiac. Enjoy!
And remember to wash and save any intact peach pits, drying them for later use in infusions or tinctures. (See earlier post here.)
Find many more healthy recipes in my newest book, The Gift of Healing Herbs, available on Amazon or from your favorite independent bookseller.